Greetings Xillion.One community!
Today we will be taking a further look into the innately Human/cultural realm of Social DAOs. Social DAOs are a type of ‘digitally native tribe’ which give way for a structured means to meet people with similar interests and goals. In simple terms, a Social DAO is any DAO with a strong focus on building a central network.
A social DAO might focus on building networks for people of a certain background, or who share a common interest in a sport like soccer or basketball, or who have similar hobbies like coding or music. Entry usually comes with access to a community full of prominent crypto builders, artists, and creatives as well as exclusive events.
Popular Social DAOs:
- The Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) is possibly the world’s most influential NFT initiative. It was second to CryptoPunks in the competition for the world’s most successful collection for over a year. However, as the world entered 2022, the price of BAYC NFTs skyrocketed. Yuga Labs was responsible for the creation of the BAYC NFT collection. This is BAYC’s parent corporation. Yuga Labs’ ultimate goal is to create a media empire centered completely on NFTs. The BAYC NFTs were the first step in realizing this dream.
- According to NFT experts, the social value derives from a combination of three factors: celebrity/influencer participation, community strength, and general member benefits.
- The majority of NFT initiatives promise to provide some type of usefulness, whether it’s access to play-to-earn games or the ability to stake an NFT in return for a cryptocurrency.
- Meetups for the Bored Ape Yacht Club have taken place in New York and California, as well as Hong Kong and the United Kingdom. In November, owners were treated to a weekend of celebrations in New York, which included a real boat party and a concert with Chris Rock, Aziz Ansari, and The Strokes.
- Yuga Labs had a strong month in March 2022. They announced the introduction of a new currency, ApeCoin ($APE), just days after announcing the acquisition of CryptoPunks and Meebits. ApeCoin is a “currency for culture, gaming, and commerce intended to promote a decentralized community growing at the vanguard of web3,” according to its description.
- The $APE will specifically be used to govern the future of the Bored Ape community. The token was not produced solely by BAYC (though the founders are involved).
- Yuga Labs secured a $450 million fundraising round led by Silicon Valley investor Andreessen Horowitz. According to the team, they want to develop a virtual environment dubbed “Otherside.” This project will begin with the MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), selling virtual land as NFTs. The plots of the Otherside metaverse game will be tied to these.
- Friends With Benefits is a worldwide group of cultural creators, thinkers, and builders who convene digitally and IRL to collaboratively shape Web3's future.
- There are many ways to engage with FWB (either as a member or contributor). As a non-hierarchical organization, everything they do relies on active participation and community buy-in. All members have the opportunity to get involved with the DAO's governance, weigh in on existing projects, spin up creative proposals for the DAO to vote on, and receive funding for community-approved projects.
- Each Season, FWB also hosts open calls for Cultural Contributors—including grantees, fellows, and artists-in-residence.
- FWB Frontend/Creative Developer: As a FWB Front-End developer, you’ll join the product team that designs, builds, evolves and maintains the crucial FWB digital ecosystem.
- FWB PRODUCT Design
- FWB Recruiter
- The FWB Discord is where Web3 is evolving in real time, with channels for art, events, NFTs, governance, job opportunities, trading crypto, and so much more.
- FWB's editorial platform publishes original writing on decentralized technology and the culture surrounding it.
3. Kraus House
- Krause House, which takes its name from the late Chicago Bulls general manager Jerry Krause, is a social DAO centered around a single sport: basketball.
- The Krause House is a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) governed by the community, fans, and basketball lovers. They aim to write a consensus of rules that will bring the first fan-governed team to the game as first participants, then fans, and now owners.
- The first DAO to buy a professional basketball team as owners of the Ball Hogs (BIG3 Team).
- Will allow members to participate in decisions affecting the operating procedures of a National Basketball Association (NBA) team including but not limited to ticketing, merchandising, partnerships, and general management of players and coaches.
- While most other social DAOs emphasize digital communications and online community building, Bright Moments focuses on IRL events; in particular, live NFT minting experiences.
- Bright Moments made its start in the world as a pop-up NFT gallery where local artists could showcase their work along Venice Beach. Now, the DAO centers around a growing NFT collection called Crypto Citizens, which looks something like a hybrid of Grand Theft Auto characters and Crypto Punks.
- Bright Moments is an arts organization owned and operated by holders of CryptoCitizen NFTs. Their mission is to educate, empower, and connect communities around the world through unforgettable, unique experiences.
- Over the next two years, Bright Moments will launch in 10 cities determined by the CryptoCitizen community.
- Meta Gamma Delta is an inclusive and empowering society supporting women-led projects.
- MGD is a safe space for fostering conversations around ideas, projects, new tech and new ways of doing things. Everyone is welcome, everyone has the power to effect change.
- You are a female Founder or Co-Founder
- You are building a decentralized application or working on a project that benefits the development of a decentralized world
- Working on a program that encourages women/minorities to be part of your community
- Sponsors/Grants Include: Oxford Blockchain Academy, The Defiant, Polygon, Harmony, MakerDAO, and Meta Cartel to name a few.
Social DAOs focus on social capital over financial capital. Social DAOs are the natural evolution of group communication and cooperation, where like-minded individuals can go far beyond their initial capacities. This DAO structure gives virtually any group the foundational ability to scale into a digital business. They challenge what it means to be a part of a community and offer ways to lean into becoming a part of a digitally-native tribe.
Xillion.One - a fully-fledged ecosystem for DAOs. All of the essential tools for building a successful DAO included in one convenient and easy-to-use platform.
Launch your DAO with no coding required in just a few clicks, raise funds easily, manage your DAO, and automate all governance in our all-in-one platform.
Buy and hold the XIL token to gain access to the exclusive Xillionaires club. Here, you will be able to unlock amazing benefits and privileges such as lucrative staking, exclusive airdrops, and more by simply holding the token.